Monday, March 5, 2007

Hoopla! - Episode 11: A celebration of moisture.

Hello and welcome once again to Hoopla! This week we're going to take a look at a couple of upcoming projects from Image that look potentially interesting, a list of everything I'm ordering for the month of May, and the first in an ongoing series called Link of the Week which, as you might have guessed, is... um... a weekly link. Yup.



More often than not, the link will be related to comic-book stuff, such as blogs with comic-book reviews or comic-book news or comic-book plates or comic-book cups or comic-book birthday cakes or... well, you get the idea.



Our first Link of the Week is to one of my favorite sources of comic-book reviews, news, and general all-around stuff, Every Day is Like Wednesday. Caleb's column is always interesting and often pretty damn funny, but the truly amazing thing about it is that it comes out every day.



How the hell does he do that???



Caleb has great taste, as evidenced by the fact that it's similar to mine!!! He even reads and enjoys Jeff Parker's Marvel Adventures: The Avengers, which proves that he is a worthwhile human being.



So, there you have it. Our first Link of the Week. I think that went pretty well, don't you?



[And if you, the reader, have any suggestions for future links, please send them along to me. Anything interesting/funny/cool is fair game.]



And now, this...


Grant Morrison only wishes he could come up with something that surreal...

And now for something extra-special:

A few weeks ago I started going out with this woman I'm rather fond of.

But it's my first potentially serious relationship in a long, long while.

So, now that we're officially "an item", here's a little song I've written about that...

Oh, I like my girlfriend...
La, la, la,
But my heart is oh so filled with anxiety...
La, la, la
She is so cool and funny and pretty...
La, la, la
I hope she doesn't wind up being insane and making my life a living hell...
La, la, la


I'm so glad I could share that with all of you.


And now it's time to take a look at what all I'm ordering for the month of May. Will this be interesting to anyone other than myself? I have no idea. Hopefully you'll find a couple of things you didn't know about which you will then purchase and enjoy and be eternally grateful to me.


That's my hope, anyway...


THINGS I'M PLANNING TO BUY IN MAY

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #3

Written by Joss Whedon, I'm hoping that this will be good... but I'm not totally optimistic.


ACTION COMICS #850

I don't normally pick this up, but the solicitation makes it sound like a fun single issue story.

ACTION COMICS #850
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art and cover by Renato Guedes
In this extra-sized special issue, writer Kurt Busiek reunites with artist Renato Guedes to visit the 31st Century and the Girl of Steel! Supergirl's looking for a way to back from the future and to realize why Superman doesn't want her to wear the "S" shield, but both Superman and Supergirl in for a big surprise when they see what the past has in store! With time-viewing sneak peaks at the upcoming year's events!

COUNTDOWN #51

My super-sneaky plan is to only order the first issue of this series. The first issue is actually scripted by Paul Dini, so it should be pretty good, and this way I'll have a sense of what the series is actually about.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #9

I've got mixed feelings about this title, thus far, but I guess I'm enjoying it enough to stick with it for now. Besides which, this issue crosses over into...

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #6

This has been pretty darn good so far, too. Neither of these books would make my Top Ten of the month, but they're both generally good super-hero-ey fun.

SPIRIT #6

BATMAN STRIKES #33
I don't normally buy this. In fact, I've never bought it before. But, as mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the cover made me laugh. Sometimes, that's all it takes...
FABLES #61 (MR)

Ah, Fables. How I do love thee...

MADAME MIRAGE KENNETH ROCAFORT CVR B #1

This is a new series by Paul Dini. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it's being published by Top Cow. I've never bought a Top Cow comic and I've never wanted to.

Their company motto is "We draw bigger boobs... for the exact same price!"

So, I'm probably going to regret this one.

[Side note: although I've never purchased a Top Cow comic-book, I did once know a guy who was really into Fathom and insisted that I read some. As someone who likes to at least pretend to be open-minded, I read the first three or four issues. All I remember about them now is that the lead character had huge breasts and that she was constantly coming out of the water. I think maybe that was her super-power or something. One issue she'd be stepping out of the ocean wearing a very wet and clingy t-shirt and a thong. The next issue, she'd take a bath with lots of sudsy bubbles and then would step out of the tub with a few protective bubbles covering up her naughty bits. The next issue, she'd step out of a pool wearing a super-tight one-piece bathing suit. Etc.

It was a very wet book. It was a book that celebrated moisture.]

CIVIL WAR FALLEN SON CAPTAIN AMERICA

I had no intention of picking this up, but the mail order company I use (mailordercomics.com) features a handful of titles at ridiculously low prices every month, and this is one of them for this month. So, it costs 74 cents.

What's a guy to do?

CIVIL WAR FALLEN SON IRON MAN

Also didn't plan to pick this up, but it's got art by John Cassaday. Ack!

SPIDER-MAN FANTASTIC FOUR #2 (Of 4)

Jeff Parker. Yummy goodness...

SPIDER-MAN FAIRY TALES #1

I was already considering getting this because of the beautiful cover art, but it turns out that this is another 74 cents special from mailordercomics. So, that pretty much decided that.


AVENGERS INITIATIVE #2 (Of 6)

Dan Slott.

BLACK PANTHER #28

Zombies...

DAREDEVIL #97

That first story arc by Brubaker and Lark was so good... I keep waiting for them to do that again.

FANTASTIC FOUR #546

Dwayne McDuffie. See my review from a couple of weeks ago...

INCREDIBLE HULK #106

Haven't bought this in a long, long time, but it's got art by Gary Frank and it's setting things up for the upcoming World War Hulk storyline, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

IMMORTAL IRON FIST #6

Still hasn't totally blown me away, but definitely good enough to stick with for now...

IRON MAN #18

I've actually really enjoyed the past few issues I've read by the Knaufs and I'm interested to see what's going to happen with the character post-Civil War.

IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN #8

Yessssss!!!!

MARVEL ADVENTURES AVENGERS #13

Yessssss!!!

MARVEL ZOMBIES DEAD DAYS

More zombie goodness...

NEW AVENGERS ILLUMINATI #3 (Of 5)

So far, this hasn't really lived up to my expectations. It's good enough to keep buying, but it seems like it should be about a million times better than it is...

RUNAWAYS #26

SILENT WAR #5 (Of 6)

I reviewed this a couple of weeks back. This is the series about the Inhumans being at war with Earth. Good stuff...

X-MEN FIRST CLASS SPECIAL

I talked about this one last week. Jeff Parker and a bunch of kick-ass artists, including Mike Allred. This is gonna be frickin' awesome...

CRIMINAL #6

NEW AVENGERS #30

I'm just about ready to drop this, but not quite yet...

NOVA #2

This might suck, but I've got a good feeling about it. We shall see...

GODLAND #19

I love this book.

And here's the solicitation for the May issue...

GØDLAND #19
story JOE CASEY
art TOM SCIOLI
cover TOM SCIOLI & RICHARD STARKINGS
32 PAGESFCMAY 30$2.99

BOOK NINETEEN: HIGH HEAD STUNG

Cosmic Melodrama meets Orgy of Violence! What more could you want from a comic book? I mean, just look at that cover! That’s the SAVAGE STING, baby! Doesn’t that just say it all?!? Besides, so much insane sh*t happens this issue, you won’t believe your beady little eyes!

DON’T DARE MISS THIS MONTH’S COSMIC EXTRAVAGANZA!


That's a mighty enthusiastic solicitation, no? And the whole damn series is like that. I think that this, Irredeemable Ant-Man, and Marvel Adventures: The Avengers are some of the most fun comics I've ever read. And I've been reading the funny-books for a miiiighty long time.

A couple of titles that I had been picking up but which got officially dropped this month...

MIGHTY AVENGERS

As mentioned last week, I have no interest in Lady Ultron vs. the Sentinel, and I certainly have no interest in Tigra... AS DRAWN BY FRANK CHO!!!

BATMAN

I'd been picking this up because, y'know, it's written by Grant Morrison and he's great and all that, but the simple truth is that this series has been pretty lame thus far. I'm tired of pretending that it's anything better than what it is.

And that's it for me. If I've missed anything that you think is truly excellent, please do let me know.

So, I keep promising to give you a look at a couple of upcoming projects from Image that have me intrigued, but I'm frustrated by the lack of information available. As a result, this is going to be brief...

GUTSVILLE #1 (of 6)
story Simon Spurrier

art & cover Frazer Irving

32 PAGES FCMAY 30$2.99
GUTSVILLE is a town living in the belly of the beast, literally. 150 years after the ocean liner HMS Daphne was swallowed at sea, its passengers’ descendents cling to life in Gutsville. All is not well among the slippery streets… As revolutionaries, sadistic priests and frothing psychos clash in the psychedelic innards of an impossible creature, it’s left to one scared RatCatcher to consider escape…
RETAILER WARNING: MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES

It actually looks kind of awful, but I really like Frazer Irving's art, so that's why I might consider picking this up. Possibly.


STRANGE EMBRACE #1 (of 8)

story DAVID HINEart & cover David Hine & ROB STEEN

32 PAGESFCMAY 16$2.99
SPAWN & X-MEN: CIVIL WAR writer David Hine brings his magnum opus to Image Comics! Digitally re-mastered, STRANGE EMBRACE will be available as eight monthly issues colored by FLANIMALS co-creator ROB STEEN and lettered by those awfully nice chaps at Comicraft! STRANGE EMBRACE is a modern gothic psycho-sexual tortured romance and is not for the nervous!
RETAILER WARNING: MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES


The fact that David Hine has written Spawn and X-Men-Civil War isn't something they should be boasting about, really, but he's also written Son of M and is currently writing Silent War, both of which I enjoy.

Again, I probably won't end up picking this up, but it seemed worth mentioning.

Okay, so this next one is the biggie...


INTERSECTIONS

art & cover DUNCAN FEGREDO & Sean Phillips

96 PAGESFC MAY 9$14.99 SC$34.99 LTD HC
Conceived during a repast of fine wine and nouvelle cuisine, INTERSECTIONS is the meeting of two artistic minds.
Sean Phillips (MARVEL ZOMBIES, CRIMINAL) and DUNCAN FEGREDO (HELLBOY, ENIGMA) play artistic ping pong with a sketchbook – a drawn and painted conversation where punctuation is provided by the postal service.
Can you read between the paintings?
Intersections: A visual dialogue between Sean Phillips and DUNCAN FEGREDO.
Intersections: The sequential conclusion to an excess of curry and beer.

Ah. Now this looks interesting. Duncan Fegredo is one of my favorite comic-book artists (I loved Enigma) and Sean Phillips is pretty damn good too. [I wonder why Fedgredo's name is in all capital letters throughout the solicitation and Phillips' isn't?] This might be very, very good.

On the other hand...

It's fifteen dollars. And it might suck.

So, this is where some additional information would be useful.

But I can't find anything.

Which I find kind of annoying and odd. I mean, let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that they would like to sell some copies of this book. That they aren't printing it up for the hell of it, but would actually like to exchange the books for money.

Everyone involved in this project knows that stores (and many readers) preorder three months in advance. So, how much effort would it take to put up some sort of web-site that describes the book in a little more detail and maybe provides 4 or 5 preview pages so that the consumer (that's you and me) can make an informed decision (one of the fundamental assumptions that must be met in order for the free market system to function properly) before ordering?

They're ruining capitalism for me!!!

Oh, well. I'm going to wrap things up now... I'd hoped to do a review or two, but my poor brain is throbbing. Remember previously I mentioned how I was all sick and everything and then the doctor prescribed antibiotics and I was feeling better but also feeling kind of stupid because I'd been so skeptical about going to see the doctor and getting antibiotics?

Well...

It turns out that my original dubious-ness was correct and the antibiotics seemed to help for a few days but then stopped and now I am as miserably ill as I was to begin with. So, that means I win!!! Ha!!! The doctor is stupid and antibiotics are stupid and I am the greatest person in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my prize is... I feel like poop.

Hurray for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, be here next week when I show the French what a montage is all about!

(Not really...)

Until then, here's hoping that your doctor is smarter than mine!

No comments: